Saturday, September 26, 2009

developing maps

This past week, I have been in the process of figuring out how to map my condition, which is showing what happens when the chaotic and irrationality of Mexico City juxtaposes with the order of the UNAM campus. At first I tried to represent this relationship in regards to the entire central campus.









This became too complicated, and I needed to refine the area that I was mapping. Within this area I had to represent what happens in the moment of transition between the chaotic city and order of the university. To achieve that I began mapping out everything about it, to ananlze what happened and how to represent that.


For the assignment, there are three different maps that we need to create. The first two maps we have to develop have to do with this zone that I am exploring. The first of the maps has to be "a map that must be produced, constructed, a map that is always detachable, connectable, reversible, modifiable, and has multiple entryways and exits and its own lines of flight." The second map, explores the same concept but represented as a perspective, section, axon, ect.

For the first map, I have been exploring how to represent different parts of the grid, in a 3-D manner that can be read and express different ideas from both front and back. The first study I produced was in foam core and could eaily be manipulated, the next challenge was figuring out how to convey the same concept with Bristol paper.










For the second map, I am representing it as a axon showing the reverse figure ground, and extruding those pieces. Here is the current version that I am working on.



On the left side, I allowed the grid of the university campus to raise up while the right side representing Mexico City is a simple line drawing, to provide a contrast, a similar concept I found that I found intreging in the book "X Urbanism" by Mario Gandelsonas. Two of the images I looked at are below.





2 comments:

  1. the second map is starting to come together... the question that i have is: what happens to the other side? (ie. the urban side) right now you've rendered it as flat... shouldn't it have similar volumetric qualities as the unam side?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just posted some on the images that I was looking at when creating the drawing from the book X Urbanism that we took out of the library. In the images I thought the quality of the contrast between the redered volumetric qualities and flat quality was appealing and read well. That is why I represented the urban side in the same manner.

    ReplyDelete